Saturday, March 13, 2010

Back to the .243 - 3/13/10

I'm out of bullets for my .308, so today I went back to the Ruger .243.  I've got a whole bunch of the cheap Walmart Winchester Super-X (crappier than all get out in my .308) 100 gr ammo, so I decided to use some of that up.  It was a breezy morning, and given the fact that I have lost all confidence in the Winchester ammo, I decided to shoot at about 110 yards (I don't know the EXACT distance for this one).  I haven't shot seriously at 100 yards for a while, so I figured it was a good change of pace, and would give me a good idea of how reliable the box of bullets that I was shooting was.  As seen in the picture, 6 shots were placed in a fair grouping for the distance.  Four of those shots, on the other hand, are definitely 1/2 MOA.  I cannot complain at the crap ammo when it makes those types of shots.  The stuff shoots okay out of the .243, but I will never buy it again for the .308.  In fact, now that I am getting more serious about precision shooting, I don't think I will buy any more of it all together.  
Even though the breeze was strong, it would die out every few minutes to be quite calm.  I didn't feel like I'd had my fill yet for the morning, so I took another target over to my 425 yard stump.  It's nice sometimes to just be outside on a walk to enjoy the morning, so I didn't mind the hike.  It is strange to walk that far, and then realize that the bullets you are about to shoot will cover that distance in about a half of a second (.473 seconds, but who's counting, right?).  
Once back at the truck, I set up the gun, and the shot again.  I concentrated on getting my breathing back to normal as I put in my hearing protection.  Here comes the wind again.  I have been dealing with wind in my shooting for the last few weeks.  It has definitely taken it's toll in accuracy, but I guess those are lessons that are important to learn.  I waited for a few minutes to see if it would die down a bit.  I could see the tall grass around the target swaying quite a bit, so I knew that the wind was even stronger at the target, compared to what I was feeling.  Once I noticed the swaying grass slow down, I used the same elevation hold that I used the last time at this distance with this gun.  I figure that the cross-hairs on the scope are fine for 200 yards, the next line down would be for 300, next line 400, next line 500...you get the idea.  Given that formula, I held the target in between two lines (what would equate for 450 yards generally).  I held on the right edge of the white plastic backing to compensate for wind, coming from the right to the left.  There was one of the seven shots that I didn't feel as confident about, and I was not able to see a single one of the shots from that distance. 
All things considered, (wind, and the amazingly long, hard trigger pull on this gun) I am pleased with the shots I placed.  A close look reveals that the 4 closest shots (in relationship to each other) are about 2.5 inches apart vertically, and about the same horizontally.  That almost exactly matches the 1/2 MOA grouping that I was able to print from 110 yards on the previous target (remembering that a 4.25 inch spread would represent 1 MOA at 425 yards).   It might not qualify for 1/2 MOA, but it is under 1, and I cannot expect any better given the ammo, wind, and factory Ruger trigger.  I was glad to see that my windage holding was just about right today.  That is an improvement over my last outing (with the .308), and that is what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment