Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3/16/10 - Woman with a Gun - Kentucky Windage

The weather was so beautiful this afternoon that we decided to take a trip as a family to the range.  Karen, Kaylee, and Konnor all got to come with me to the range today.  Kaylee got to shoot a .22 LR for the first time in her life.  She liked that, but had a hard time reaching the trigger.  Karen shot the Glock too.  It's only the second or third time I remember her shooting a pistol since we have been married.  Some women wouldn't pose much of a threat to an intruder even if they had a gun.  Karen on the other hand,  well, let me put it this way; you wouldn't want to mess with her.  This is a warning to all:  she knows right where the gun is, she knows how to rack the slide to load it, and she could most definitely kill you with it!  She can put bullets on target, and she isn't timid when shooting.  She put two or three rounds in to a cup at about 17 feet, and then proceeded to unload the rest of the clip on some other target further away.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

At the rate I am going, I will never have any bullets for the .308 (I need to reload), so I shot the cheap ammo out of the .243 again today.  I'm going to have to sit down one day and find out how much elevation I can get out of the Burris Scope that is on the Ruger, so that I can get some indication of how far out I can use the scope.  Right now, all I am doing is using the BDC reticle for holdover estimation.  Since I know pretty much exactly how to aim for the 425 yard distance, I haven't moved the scope knobs for a while.  Not exactly an exact science, but if I hit what I am pointing at, what difference does it make, right?  

While Karen and the kids went for little hike up the hill, I set up the first grouping.  I had a little wind, but I thought that it was mostly coming at me.  I should have known better.  Five shots, and only one of them even grazed the target.  I mean that.  I barely grazed the target with one of the shots.  The other 4 missed wide right.  I did end up seeing bullet marks in the ground behind the target which seemed to indicate the missed shots.  So after a long walk back, I set it up again. Armed with new information, I held about a 14 inch crab into the wind, and was able to get 3 of 5 generally on target as shown.  As to the location of the other 2 shots in this group, your guess is as good as mine.  Difficult to say whether this was a product of the ammo, or the conditions.  I doubt it was my mistake, but with a trigger like this gun has, I guess that is a possibility.  My guess is that the 2 close hits are a good representation of the consistency of the shots, and that the windage variability with the third shot is due more to atmospheric conditions, than the shooter on this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment