Sunday, June 29, 2014

New Bike 2014 KTM 300 XC-W - June 2014

On the 21st of June, I bought a replacement bike.  I loved the 2012 300 XC-W so much that I bought the same bike,  just 2 years newer.  What an amazing package the 300 is!  I spent a number of hours (8-10) pulling things off the old bike and installing them on the new bike.  I re-jetted the bike, installed the steering stabilizer with sub-mount, hand guards, FMF pipe, radiator guards, skid plate, and Tusk foot pegs.  Later on, I would install a rear disk guard on it too.

I'm actually writing this post in November and I have to say that all those extra gaurds have been well used.  In the 5-6 months of riding, this new bike has taken more abuse than my 2012 did in over 2 years of riding!  Lots of looping out on rocks and slamming down hills.  I think that's because I push things harder than I used to.  I don't back down from nearly as many obstacles.  That means I'm progressing, but it also means the bike is taking some real abuse! 

Since Karen had taken the kids to California to visit my mom while I stayed back to work starting on Sunday, I took the bike and trailer up to Strawberry Ridge to break it in later in the week. I only missed one day of work instead of missing the entire week like I would have done if I'd gone with Karen and the kids to California.  Scott Seely ended up camping over with me on Thursday and riding with me on Friday on the trails up there.  The bike took a MAJOR slam going up the "Wall of Death", but I ended up being able to climb that one one my second try up the hill.  This was my second time climbing that section and it was more torn up this time around making it more difficult than before.  The first time was last year on my 2012 when I didn't know the obstacle was there. 

A couple of weeks earlier Sam and I participated in a service project in conjunction with the Forrest Service in Willow Creek to help clear trails.  It was a fun day, but a lot of work.

A thing of Beauty! 2014 KTM 300 XC-W


It's a lot of fun to work on a clean fresh bike.

Swapping parts from one bike to the other took some real time!


Installed the Pipe and Silencer after going on the mountain.

This was before I installed the silencer and rear disk guard that came later during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment