Monday, June 3, 2013

Arapeen Trail System - Memorial Day Weekend

On Memorial weekend I had a blast exploring the Arapeen Trail system up Mayfield Canyon on my dirtbike.  We camped from Thursday night through Monday at about noon.  The trails were amazing and the scenery was epic!  The meadows were filled with amazing green grass and flowers.  The aspen leaves were just coming in at the upper elevations, and a beautiful new green below.  I can't describe how beautiful it was. The image above shows my tracks from the GPS.  I ended up riding a few of the same trails over and over to get to and from camp.  I tried to hit all of the tracks that weren't too muddy/snowed over.  There were a couple of trails that I didn't have time to get to, but overall, I got a very good sense for the lower portion of the trail system.  I've got to go back soon and hit the rest of the trails.

Some of my favorites were the Pinchot Trail (2), and the Clear Creek ATV trail (22).  24 was also a very fun loop that you can get to from the 22 trail.  I couldn't get all the way up 23 because of some dead-fall trees in way. I used both sides of the 27 loop to get to and from camp and they are really fun as well.  26 was pretty fun but there was a section a little too loose and rocky for my old, worn out tire to get up with out having to walk the bike (not fun) up the hill for about 50 yards.

I tried to use the main road (12 mile canyon) to get to the Skyline, but it was snowed over about 2 miles above the upper Pinchot Staging area.  I also tried the 28 trail, but it got to snowy and muddy to keep going.  Looking at the map and my tracks though, I might have been up to the 21 section of that trail before I turned around.  Trail 25 goes down a little lower (to the west) and I didn't get on that one.  I'd like to go back and hit the upper portions later in the year.  It would also be great to explore the trails that are clustered around Manti Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment